The Crown Oil Arena, previously known as Spotland Stadium, got built in 1920. For most of its history, Spotland Stadium was a rather modest ground consisting of one covered main stand and open terraces on the other sides.
Spotland Stadium got almost entirely rebuilt between 1992 and 2000 with three new stands on both sides and one end. The remaining Sandy Lane terrace behind the goal got extensively revamped.
In 2016, Spotland Stadium got renamed Crown Oil Arena following a 5-year naming rights sponsorship deal.